Sunday, November 8, 2009

Veteran's Cyclocross

Today was the Veteran's Cyclocross event, which is part of the De Stad Van Kansas Cyclocross Series. The course seemed very hilly to me for some reason. There were 3 fast long descents, one of which was fairly technical through the woods. Other than that, it seemed like I was climbing the rest of the time.

I rolled up to the start line and my legs just felt bad. I was thinking that it was just pre-race nerves, but once the race started, I realized that wasn't the case. I was hanging in about 5th place until about half way through the first lap, then the lights just went out. It has been a while since I melted down so quickly. My mouth was total cotton and the insides of my lips were sticking to my teeth. Maybe I wasn't hydrated enough and that just caused me to shut down. Who knows, but it was a bad day for me physically. I conserved what I could and ended up finishing 12th out of 19. Not really the finish I wanted, but I was just thankful to finish today. I know results probably won't come this year, but I sure would like to crack the top 10 at some point. Heck, I wouldn't even care if that meant getting 10th out of 10 starters.

On the bright side, I didn't have any mechanical problems this week, so hopefully that trend continues. Stay tuned.......

No comments:

Post a Comment